PARKERSBURG — The Parkersburg High School Speech and Debate Team competed Friday and Saturday in the West Virginia Speech and Debate Association State Tournament in Morgantown.
The team came away with three individual state championships and 10 individual trophies. The debtor coach is Lori Zyla.
The state champions are Bastet Zyla for Original Oratory, Abby Hines for Broadcasting and Ryann Province for the Spontaneous Argument Debate.
The 10 winners of the trophy are:
* Bastet Zyla, state champion, Original Oratory, and third place, Broadcasting.
* Abby Hines, state champion, broadcasting, and runner-up, Original Oratory.
* Ryann Province, State Champion, Spontaneous Argument Debate.
* Pallavi Sundaram, semi-finalist, debate on the spontaneous argument.
* Isabel Bhati, semi-finalist, debate on spontaneous argumentation; keynote speaker, public forum debate; and speaker, SPAR debate.
* Ryann Province and Katie Riggs, second place, public forum debate.
* Lily Floyd, second place, Poetry.
* Elijah Conger, fourth place, Declamation
* Sofia Olson, fifth place, Prose
Four students qualified for the National Catholic Forensic League’s major national tournament in May in Washington, D.C. Students placing first and second in the events offered at the national championships qualify to attend.
The qualified students are Abby Hines, second place in Original Oratory; Bastet Zyla, Original Oratory State Champion; Katie Riggs and Ryann Province, second place on the Public Forum Debate Team.
Donations to help fund the trip can be sent to PHS Speech & Debate, Parkersburg High School, 2101 Dudley Ave., Parkersburg.